Thursday, May 29, 2014

One Pot Wonder: Chicken and Veggie Stew


School is wrapped up. I really don’t know who is happier about that, my kids or me. Actually, I lie. I’m definitely happier about it.

As the last few days were winding down, I definitely felt the pressure at work and at home, so I didn’t really feel like cooking all too often. However, when you’re on a budget, going out to eat every day wasn’t really an option.

I wanted to make a simple dish that was good, but didn’t take a lot of effort. Growing up, my mom made a chicken and potato recipe that she whipped up in one pot. That inspired me, and I wanted to create an elevated version of that. I found a simple recipe that I could work with, and I could eat for a few day.



This stew has color, flavor and some heartiness. You’ll be relieved to eat it after a long day of work. Enjoy.

One-Pot Chicken and Veggie Stew


Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
  • 2 -3 lbs pieces of chicken of your choice
  • ½ medium onion, chopped
  • ¾ cup baby carrots
  • 2 cloves chopped garlic
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 cup quinoa
  • 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 5 golden potatoes
  • 1 cup baby spinach


Directions:
  • Heat your oil in a stock pot over med-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and brown it in the pot for about 2 minutes on each side.

  • Add in the onion, carrots, garlic, and chili powder to the chicken. Allow your dish to simmer for about 5 minutes.

  • Add in the chicken broth, tomatoes, potatoes, and quinoa (make sure to rinse your quinoa first!). Allow your broth to come to a boil, then decrease the heat. Allow the stew to simmer for 30-40 minutes.
  • Just before serving, turn off your stew. Toss in the spinach and stir it throughout the stew gently to let it wilt. Check your seasoning once more, and add salt if necessary. 


No comments:

Post a Comment