Monday, May 26, 2014

Homemade Oreos... Sinfully Delicious

My friends are super supportive in my writing and cooking endeavors. Chances are, they get to eat the products I play with in the kitchen, so it’s not like they’re forced to endure my talking about these delicacies in vain. One of my closest friends, Jamie, actually got me a great book for my birthday “The Mac + Cheese Cookbook”, and I’ve been drooling over everything in here since.

It usually takes me forever to come up with the courage to try a recipe from cookbooks, but there was one in Arevalo and Wade’s book that I couldn’t wait to create: the homemade Oreos.


First, I made them for Mothers Day, and gave them as gifts to my mom, aunts and grandmother. My husband was livid – I didn’t have any leftovers for him. The next time I made the Oreos was for our church group. They were inhaled, and Matt was very happy for the leftovers.

Since everyone loved them, I figured I’d share them with all of you. They’re not particularly hard to make, and very easy to enjoy with your friends. (Unless you’re like my husband. Then you’ll wolf them down without sharing.)

Homemade Oreos


Cookie Ingredients
  • 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • 1 ½ cups white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon table salt
  • ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, for topping

Frosting Ingredients
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter
  • ¼ cup shortening (I used lard!)
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Instructions 
  • Preheat your oven to 3750F. Prepare your baking tray with parchment paper.

  • To make your cookies, start by mixing your flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. I used a fork, and carefully sifted until the mixture looked like sand.


  • Add your butter and eggs to the dry mixture, using your hand mixer on a low setting. Now your mixture will look like wet sand.


  • Scoop out your dough into small balls, roughly smaller than a tablespoon. Make sure that you don’t make the dough balls too large, otherwise they won’t cook properly, and will be overly large. Sprinkle the topping with sea salt. 


  • Bake your cookies until the dough starts to crack and puff up slightly. This will be approximately 6 minutes. These cookies will look underdone, and that’s ok! They are supposed to be soft. Let them cool on the tray. 

Now, for the filling!

(If you have a heavy duty mixer, here’s where you want to pull it out.)

  • Blend your butter and shortening (lard).

  • Slowly add your powdered sugar and vanilla, half cup at a time. Blend until it’s smooth.
  • Place your filling in a pastry bag, or if you’re on a budget, in a heavy duty gallon bag with its tip cut off one corner.
  • Once your cookies are cooled, pipe a dollop of filling in the middle, and press the remaining cookie on top.

 
Don't mind my larger cookies. I couldn't help myself.


  • Take your shot and try to dip this bad boy in a glass of milk, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment