Monday, June 2, 2014

Quick Dessert: Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cobbler


Don’t you hate it when you’ve signed up to cook something and completely forget about it until the last possible moment?

I can’t tell you how many times that has happened to me. It’s probably a shameful amount, and I’m working on that. However, it’s probably because of my poor planning that I’ve become really good at whipping up dishes in a short amount of time.

This time, I signed up for dessert at growth group. I thought I was ready to go. I had gotten my homemade Oreos ready to go, and I took them… a week early. SIGH.

The next week, I was scratching my head, looking for a fun and effortless dessert that would leave everyone satisfied, and I found this lovely chocolate cobbler recipe. I normally love lots of steps so I can watch the dessert grow or come together, but I appreciated how this all came together so quickly and was perfect. 



You can eat it warm, with some ice cream on top, or you can eat it by spoonfuls from the dish, without any judgment from me. Enjoy.


Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cobbler

Ingredients
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups hot water

Instructions
  • To start, Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
  • In a bowl, combine your flour, salt, baking powder sugar and 2 tablespoons of the cocoa powder with a fork. 
  • Pour the milk and oil into your dry ingredients, stirring it slowly to keep any dry pockets from forming. 
  • Pour into a baking dish (mine is a 9x9-inch square). 
  • Combine the brown sugar and remaining cocoa. This will serve as the "crumble" for your dessert. I truly wasn't sure what this would look like, but it is delish. Sprinkle your mixture over the batter. 
  • Now, for the odd part. Pour hot water over the top of your dessert. Don't stir it. Just leave it.  
This WILL be beautiful in the end, I promise. 
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Told you!
What I like about this particular dessert is that it comes with its own gooey syrup to swirl around. You'll be fighting to see who eats the last spoonful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment