Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Quick Zucchini and Corn Succotash


I tend to compulsively buy vegetables without a plan for them. I figure, at some point I’ll eat them, since we’re all eating vegetables every day, right?

Well, what ends up happening is that most of my favorite veggies get consumed immediately, with only a few stragglers left behind because they were bought in bulk. I had some extra zucchini that was going to go bad if I didn’t do something with it immediately, so I scrambled to find something yummy and filling. I found this recipe on Stamps Postings, and gave it a try.

Veggies. So much better than pizza.
I love succotash, and felt that pairing up my zucchini with something spicy and sweet would be the best way to make it disappear. I was right. This makes a great side to chicken, or even a snack. Have fun with it!


Zucchini and Corn Succotash




yield: 8-10 1/2 cup servings

1 ½ cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 ½  cups chopped zucchini
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 low fat chicken broth
2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
3 dashes your preferred hot sauce
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
**Optional: 1 cup chopped red bell pepper

  • Place a large skillet over high heat until hot. Add corn, red pepper, onion, and cumin; and sauté for 5 minutes until veggies are slightly blackened.


You can see the char. That's a good thing. 
  • Add the zucchini, olive oil, and garlic. Allow it to cook for approximately another minute.




  • Reduce heat to medium-high, add broth and remaining ingredients. Cook approximately 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently. 
  • Serve with your preferred main dish, and enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment