Sunday, February 23, 2014

Beautiful Buttermilk Pancakes

I love breakfast. I love going to breakfast. I love being woken up to breakfast. I love making breakfast. Needless to say, it's about time I focused on something that I loved: breakfast. 

One of the things that I particularly enjoy to consume and create are pancakes. There's something beautiful about a simple, fluffy pancake. It can be wrapped around a sausage, or it can be enjoyed with its brethren in a stack. For years, I'd been using a simple, cheater's version of pancakes that my mom used from Bisquick. However, I decided to go a little bigger and better with my cooking. I received Two Dudes, One Pan from my husband for Christmas this year, and was determined to make their buttermilk pancakes. 


Buttermilk beauties

They are, simply put, some of the best pancakes I have ever eaten. I ate two pancakes while trying to cook a stack, and then sat down and ate some more with a side of bacon and hot coffee. I'm actually excited to eat them again tomorrow for breakfast. 


Buttermilk Pancakes

yields approximately 12 pancakes



3 cups buttermilk
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Canola oil, as needed

  • Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and half of the melted butter in a medium bowl

Don't mind the bacon in the corner
  • Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Stir in the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until only a few dry patches remain. Mix in the rest of the melted butter until only a few dry spots remain. The batter will be lumpy (don't worry, it's the buttermilk's fault). 
Take your lumps 
  • Brush a nonstick pan or skillet with oil and set it over medium heat for 1 minute.
  • Brush the pan with a little more oil and ad 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. (If you are using a griddle and cooking several pancakes together, leave about 1 1/2 inches between each pancake.)
  • Cook until each pancake's surface bubbles and the edges are dry, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
  • Flip the pancake over and cook until the other side is browned, 2 to 3 minutes. 

I love the color.

  • Place pancake on a platter and set aside while you cooke the remaining batter. (You may need to re-brush your pan with more oil.)
  • Serve the pancakes immediately with maple syrup or fruit topping.
I had more pancakes to photograph, but I ate them. 



Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment