Saturday, March 1, 2014

Rainy day carne asada tacos

It's properly raining in Southern California. I mean, actual tornado warnings to the north of us. Because of that, in addition to me twisting my ankle, I've not been in the mood to make pretty food. I needed to purchase groceries, and it felt like I needed to get an ark ready in order to get home.

However, I did successfully buy food for the month, and was once again inspired. My grandmother gave me a bag of avocados, and now that they're ripening, I need to make things with them. 

First on my list, carne asada tacos with avocado salsa fresca. It's something fast, delicious, and can be tailored to your preferences. Enjoy this with as much toppings as you prefer!


No forks necessary.

Carne Asada Tacos with Avocado Salsa Fresca


yields approximately 12 fat tacos

1 1/2 lbs beef sirloin, your choice
1/2 lemon
12 corn tortillas
1 large tomato
1/3 cup cilantro
1 serrano pepper
2 green onions
1 avocado
pre-cooked pinto beans (optional)
shredded cheese (for garnish)


  • The night before you cook your taco meat, squeeze the 1/2 lemon onto the meat. Allow the meat to marinate for at least 3 hours so that the acidity breaks down the tough meat.




  •  Heat your skillet to medium high.
  • As you wait for your skillet to heat, begin to slice your meat into large cubes. As you dice your meat, season your meat with your preferred seasonings. I enjoy salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning. 


  • Let your meat cook until it begins to sear, and there is no more juice in the pan.

That meat will simmer for about 10-15 minutes, depending on your stove, your pan, and your preference of done-ness. Now... the salsa!

  • Chop your cilantro finely. 
  • Dice up your tomato, as well as your green onions, and add it to your cilantro. Don't get rid of the tomato juices; add that as well. It adds flavor. 
  • Finely chop your serrano pepper. These babies can be pretty spicy, so add a small big of pepper at a time, mix, and taste for heat. Don't overdo it.

  • Finally, slice your avocado. Make wide cubed cuts of the avocado while it is in the pit, then carefully spoon it out onto the rest of the salsa. Add salt to taste, a dash of water and a tablespoon of lemon juice. 
  • Mix carefully so that the avocado chunks don't disintegrate. 
Look at those colors. Chunky is pretty.

And now, the moment we've been waiting for. Taco building time.
  • In a small sauce pan, heat your tortilla. Let the pan get hot, and allow both sides of your tortilla to toast, approximately 2-4 minutes, depending on how crispy you want your tortilla to be. Place on your plate and begin building.
  • Drizzle your meat chunks onto your tortilla. If you prefer smaller sized meat pieces, slice them once the meat has rested. 
I had some pinto beans in the fridge, and added them to my taco. I love beans in my taco. 
  • Top your taco with shredded cheese, and then garnish with the salsa. Serve immediately!
Ay que taco!

No comments:

Post a Comment