Saturday, March 15, 2014

Not your momma's chicken soup

When I was a freshman in college, I had the worst cold I've ever had in my life. I couldn't breathe, slept all day, and was a complete zombie for a few days. I had never missed my mother the way I did while I was sick; I missed her giving me medicine, and most importantly, doting on me with some delicious chicken soup. 

I would've killed for some soup. It immediately made me feel better, and I knew that the moment I started sipping the broth, my foggy state would clear. However, I was in the dorm. There were no Mexican mothers there, so I had the next best thing: cup of noodles. 

I was so sad. It didn't do the job, especially since it didn't have the right texture, taste, or smell. 

Now that I'm grown, I have crafted my own version of Mom's soup. It' delicious, hearty, filling and flavorful. Unlike some soups that call for itty bits of vegetables, my soup calls for large pieces, which add huge amounts of flavor. It'll keep for several days, but it probably won't last long. 



If you're sick with a cold, or if you need to warm up from the cold, this is the soup for you. Enjoy.

Not your momma's chicken soup

4 chicken breasts
2 large potatoes (can be substituted for 4-6 small potatoes)
1/4 yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
1/2 tablespoon oregano
salt, to taste
2 cups frozen starchy vegetables of your preference
2 medium zucchini
1/4 lb. string beans
1/4 cup cilantro
avocado 


  • Place chicken breasts in a 7-qt Dutch oven or soup pot, and cover with water. There should be enough water for the chicken to be completely submerged. It will float. Add the onion and garlic, and allow your chicken to boil on medium high for 45 minutes. Cover your pot, but leave it cracked so that steam may escape. Once your chicken has fully cooked, salt the broth to taste. Add your oregano.
The water will get murky as the chicken begins to cook.
  • Carefully and thoroughly scrub your potatoes. Cut your potatoes into halves (if you use smaller potatoes, they may stay whole), and place into the water with the chicken. I leave the skin on so that your potato stays intact. Your potatoes should cook completely, but not dissolve, about 20 minutes, depending on the potato.
Since this potato is medium sized, I cut it in half. Some might need to be cut into thirds.
  • Pour your frozen vegetables into your soup. I prefer broccoli, carrots, corn and cauliflower. Allow for your vegetables to defrost. 
Your soup will start smelling heavenly.
  • Carefully clean your zucchini, string beans and cilantro, cutting off ends. Place them into your pot whole, and allow to boil, approximately 10 minutes.

  • Serve carefully, so as to not dissolve the vegetables. One way to keep your vegetables intact is to place them in a separate container while serving, and pouring broth over them once they have been served on top of the chicken. Garnish with avocado slices.

  • To really enjoy your soup in true Mexican style, serve with Spanish rice, salsa, and tortillas. It'll clear up any sniffles you have, guaranteed!
I can't really guarantee this will heal you. Sorry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment