Sunday, August 3, 2014

Cilantro Lime Dressing: Perfect for Summer Salads

It’s not often that I think: “I’m craving a salad.”

However, it’s been hot as heck out in Southern California, with temperatures in the high 90s and humidity that’s not supposed to happen here. My hair has been perpetually pinned to my head to keep the curls from taking over the world, and our air conditioner simply decided that life wasn’t worth living anymore.

On top of that, Matt’s decided to eat healthier. It’s something to see. A man who’s never eaten greens willingly is now grabbing fistfuls of spinach to snack on.

In light of all this, I’ve decided to share my favorite salad dressing recipe. It’s one I found for chopped Mexican salads, and has been a hit at all potlucks/dinners we’ve been invited to. It’s super easy to make, and super flavorful. 



At the end, I’ll show you what I add to mine in order to make a refreshing entrée salad.


Cilantro Lime Dressing

Ignore the apricot. It's just making a guest appearance

Ingredients
1 bunch of cilantro, washed 
1/2 cup of lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil -- I used an oil infused with blood orange, for extra citrusy flavor
2-3 tablespoons of honey, to taste
a dash of salt and pepper


  • Start by cleaning out your cilantro. Mine was already starting to wilt. I was worried about using this cilantro in salsas and such, but slightly wilty cilantro is just fine when you're about to mince it into oblivion. Once it's cleaned, toss it into your processor, bullet or blender. Give it a pulse. 
  • Add your lime juice to the cilantro, then pulse again.

Your dressing will be hyper green. This is acceptable.

  • Add the olive oil and let everything blend together. Finally, add your honey a tablespoon at a time, tasting with each addition. Season with salt and pepper, then one final blend to mix.

That's it. You take this, add it to everything, seriously. We had a friend over who put it on his chicken, even.

In order to make the best salad this summer, I've been putting cotija cheese, pinto beens, chicken, corn, bell peppers, and jalapeño peppers into my spinach, tossing it, and smothering it with my meal. Regardless of what you do, I'm sure this dressing will be a repeat at your place.


No comments:

Post a Comment